Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
March 28, 2011 § 28 Comments
Today I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I haven’t eaten “real” bacon in 3 years! Yes, I went through a phase where I thought turkey bacon tasted way better than regular pork bacon. Yesterday was the first time I had pork bacon in 3 whole years and guess what? I was totally wrong. Pork bacon is king!
Now you’re probably wondering what spurred this sudden bacon craving. Don’t laugh, but it actually originated from a TV show. You see, a few days ago my Mom and I were watching the latest episode of Shark Tank with a guy trying to get the Sharks to invest in his product – Wake N’ Bacon: an alarm clock that wakes you up to the smell of bacon! Immediately the craving hit. I became hungry. I needed bacon, but we didn’t have any in our house. I just couldn’t get the vision of bacon out of my head. I felt like Jessica!
Friday night, after a last-minute bacon run to Wegmans, I began to construct the perfect way to introduce bacon back into my diet. I immediately thought of biscuits, but they couldn’t be just any biscuits. They needed to have all the components of a perfect biscuit: cheese, butter, and bacon! I was drooling at the thought of the aforementioned biscuits and was thisclose to making them, but then realized it would be pointless considering Fridays are meat-free during Lent. Never fear though! I woke up bright and early Saturday morning just to make them!
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
“These savory biscuits are perfect for any meal! Perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast, spread them with mustard and deli meat for lunch, or serve with a hearty stew for dinner. They are sure to please the bacon-lover in your family!”
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold
- ¾ heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled (make sure to reserve the grease – you will need it!)
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, separated
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cut the butter into small pieces and cut into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the cream, bacon, ½ cup of the cheese, lemon, and reserved bacon grease and stir gently until the mixture forms a mass. Gather it into a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead it for about 30 seconds, and then pat it out to form a ¾-inch thick rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, separate the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into a circle, flatten to the original ¾-inch thickness.
- Arrange the biscuits about 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with the remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake for 14 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 biscuits
* * * * *
My Mom must have been thinking of the Wake N’ Bacon too because right when she woke up she asked if I had been cooking bacon. She thought she was going crazy!
Needless to say, she was pretty happy when she realized that she wasn’t imagining the smell and that she would actually be able to bite into a delicious bacon-filled biscuit!
Fluffy was also pretty happy when she smelled the bacon. Look at that concentration!
Don’t worry, I shared a biscuit with her. I’d say that’s enough sharing for today.