Carrot Cake Waffles
January 27, 2012 § 19 Comments
I’m fairly certain that the only thing that makes Final exams bearable is the [short] break you recieve afterwards. It’s the only thing that makes them bearable for me, at least! :-)
So many times while I was studying I remember saying to myself “Two more days and then its smooth sailing. Four day weekend, time to sleep in, free time…”
Okay, I lied about the sleeping in part. I never sleep in past 9AM.
But the rest of it is true. I haven’t done anything academic since 12:05 PM yesterday afternoon. I don’t have to worry about making Honor Roll anymore. [Just squeaked by thanks to Chemistry!] All of my
crap school materials from first semester have already been burned in a bonfire organized, thrown out, or saved because “they might come in handy one day!” ;-)
This morning I was able to wake up at 7AM and whip up a batch of Carrot Cake Waffles for Phil and I to enjoy for breakfast. I figured it would lessen the blow for him since he doesn’t have to take Finals and therefore doesn’t have a four-day weekend like me. :-?
I think it worked. Afterall, don’t delicious breakfasts always equal a good day?
Carrot Cake Waffles
“Warm, fluffy homemade waffles that taste like carrot cake! Top with syrup or, if you’re like me, a pat of butter and you’re bound to have a delicious breakfast and a great day!”
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons packed brown sugar [depending on your taste and toppings]
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup banana, mashed [approximately ½ a large banana]
- 1 ¼ cups milk [I used 1%.]
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup finely grated carrot
- ¼ cup raisins, optional
- Preheat waffle maker to medium temperate according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Wisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all try ingredients except for the carrot and raisins. Add dry ingredients to the wet, mix well. Stir in carrot and raisins until combined. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spray preheated waffle maker with nonstick spray and spoon ~¼ cup batter into the center.* Bake until waffles are golden brown, approximately 2-4 minutes depending on your machine.
*I have a waffle maker with 4 square sections so I put ¼ cup batter in the middle of each section. You may have to adjust this according to the size and shape of your waffle maker.
Yield: 8-10 (4-inch) waffles