Buttermilk Ricotta Pancakes
February 26, 2012 § 12 Comments
Pancakes are delicious simply by definition.
I mean, c’mon, they’re fluffy little cakes that you can slather in syrup, frosting, butter and whatever else you want, and still eat for breakfast! They’re automatically delicious!
But…they’re especially delicious when consumed after running 12 miles in preparation for the half-marathon you’re running next weekend! :-D
That’s right. I ran 12 miles this morning and then came home and refueled with some carbalicious pancakes. I mean, what else do you have for motivation when running for almost two hours?
My thoughts while running…
“Lalalala…this is so fun! I could run forever!”
“Wow! Time is really flying by. This is great!”
“Whoaaaaa, I’m halfway thereeeee! Whoaaaaa, I’m livin’ on prayer!”
“That unleashed dog better have an electric fence…wait, nope no electric fence. WHAT’S WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS?! Just keep running, Erika. Please don’t bite me. Please don’t bite me.”
“What should I make to eat when I get home?”
“Ahhhh, water tastes so good right now!”
“Only 3 miles left until I get to eat pancakes!!!!”
“Damn, its windy outside. Why is it always so damn windy when I run?!”
“Glaze. Vanilla glaze. I need to make some vanilla glaze to put on my pancakes.”
“Half a mile left, Erika! You can do thisssssssss! Sprint! Sprint! Sprint!”
“Okay, enough sprinting. Let’s not get too crazy here…”
“THE HOUSE HAS BEEN SPOTTED! I REPEAT, THE HOUSE IS NOW IN SIGHT!”
“I just ran 12 miles. I am freaking awesome!”
Buttermilk Ricotta Pancakes
“I adapted this recipe from an old recipe my Mom used to use. Her recipe called for massive amounts of oil so I “healthified” it a bit and swapped the oil for ricotta cheese. The ricotta cheese lends a fabulous, moist texture to the pancakes without changing the flavor at all. As you can see, I enjoyed these pancakes with fresh blueberries and a generous drizzle of Jessica’s Vanilla Cream Glaze. I highly recommend using the glaze with these pancakes!”
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (I used part-skim.)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and wisk to combine. Add wet ingredients and stir until completely combined. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Grease a large nonstick pan over medium heat and pour ¼-1/3 cup batter onto the center of the pan. Cook pancake on each side for 1-2 minutes. Repeat until all batter is used up, re-greasing the pan as necessary. (I usually have to do this after every pancake.)
- Top pancakes with everything from fresh fruit to butter, syrup, and Vanilla Cream Glaze. Enjoy!
You need these pancakes. I need these pancakes.
These pancakes may be making another appearance at dinnertime. They’re just so good.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be eating the rest of the Vanilla Cream Glaze with a spoon, going to sleep, and then maybe doing some homework later. Maybe.
Have a great Sunday everyone! :-D