Oreo Cream Cheese Blondies
July 30, 2012 § 9 Comments
Unfortunately, the last few days have been filled with lots of bad luck…and two subsequent trips to the emergency room.
(From left to right) Carlee, Kelly, and me!
Carlee recently got a job at the same little bagel shop I work at. This past Sunday was her first day and, only two hours into her shift, she cut out a nice piece of her finger while slicing a bagel. (And by nice I mean deep and bloody, of course.) Carlee’s Mom, a nurse, took a single look at her finger and decided to take her to hospital in case she needed stitches. Thankfully, she didn’t need any and, a few pieces of gauze, a bandage, and one breakfast rush later, Carlee rejoined me at work.
Kelly, on the other hand, was at home arguing about dishes with her twin brother (as usual) on Sunday. From what Kelly told me when I walked to her house to “check out her Frankenstein stitches,” the fight got pretty heated and resulted in Kelly getting a metal spoon thrown at her. (Ouch!) Long story short, Kelly also took a trip to the hospital and received four Frankenstein-esque stitches on her forehead.
I amped up the deliciousness of the cake by substituting chopped Oreo cookies for the chocolate chips and replacing some of the butter with cream cheese a la Sally. The cream cheese adds a touch of richness to the blondie and makes them oh-so-gooey and decadent. Everyone, including Carlee and Kelly, loved them!
Seriously, if you only make one of my recipes make these blondies!
Oreo Cream Cheese Blondies
Inspired by Sally’s Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature (I used reduced fat.)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 12 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan with foil, grease with nonstick spray, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, wisk the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 15 seconds. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg. Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and combine on low-speed until just a few dry streaks remain. Add the chopped Oreos and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan. Press the batter into a smooth and even layer in the pan and bake until lightly golden and puffy around the edges (the center should still feel quite soft), about 18–22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then run a paring knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake. Cool for at least 4 hours before turning the cake out of the pan and onto a large plate.
Yield: ~12 blondies