March 19, 2012 § 17 Comments
A few weeks ago if you had been in my house you would have witnessed me running around and shouting:
Mom! Mom! I got in! I just got the email – I’m in! I finally got accepted!
With all that commotion you’d think I’d gotten accepted with a full scholarship to Yale or some other prestigious university, but alas I did not. I did, however, get accepted into the Secret Recipe Club!
For those of you that don’t know, the Secret Recipe Club is a club for food bloggers. Every month you get paired up with another blogger and you get to make one of their recipes, blog about it, and then “reveal” who you had on the reveal date. This month I got paired up with Kate from Kate’s Kitchen.
I am a huge fan of Chinese, Japanese, or any kind of Asian food, so naturally my first choice, when scrolling through her recipe page deciding what to make, was Sweet and Sour Chicken.
It seemed easy to make, delicious, and healthy, so I figured it would be the perfect dish to make my family for dinner. I was right, too! It was so good and my parents have already asked me to make it again sometime.
For once, I actually followed the recipe and was so impressed with it! Seriously, I can already tell it’s going to make regular appearances at my family’s dinner table. Thank you so much Kate!
PS – If you are interested in checking out other Secret Recipe Club entries, click on the link below!
May 26, 2011 § 40 Comments
Sugar. Sugar. Sugar. Sometimes you must think all I eat is sugar. While I do have a raging sweet tooth from time-to-time and am pretty content with only posting breads and desserts on my blog, I feel like I need to switch it up a little. I assure you, I eat real food too!
Thursday’s dinner was something of my own creation and also a winner. Easy, delicious, and portable – I knew I had to share it with you guys!
Chicken Avocado Cheddar Melt
“Looking for a healthy dinner that can be made in a snap? Look no further. This Chicken Avocado Cheddar Melt is the thing for you. It’s delicious and it can even be eaten on-the-go!”
- 1 large French baguette, cut in half lengthwise and then into four equal sections (I make homemade ones using this recipe.)
- 4 grilled chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together ketchup, mayo, 1 tablespoon of parsley, and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the ketchup mixture on one side of each prepared baguette. Top with ¼ of the grilled chicken.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and slice each half lengthwise into four slices. Lay the avocado slices over the chicken and top with ¼ of the cheddar cheese.
- Place sandwiches in a baking sheet, and bake until the cheese melts, about 90 seconds. Remove the pan from the oven, top with the other half of the baguette and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Doesn’t that ooey gooey melted cheese just make you drool? My mouth waters at the memory of eating this sandwich.
Alright. That’s enough savory for me. Now I’m off to make some of these! Have a great night!